Prof. Michael Belkin
Director of the Ophthalmic Technologies Laboratory at the university’s Eye Research Institute in the Sheba Medical Center
The inventor's point of view: a view from the trenches
Michael Belkin is professor emeritus of ophthalmology and the director of the Ophthalmic Technologies Laboratory at the university’s Eye Research Institute in the Sheba Medical Center. He was awarded a master’s degree in science by Cambridge University, England, and received a doctorate in medicine from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Dr. Belkin served previously as:
• Director of research, development and non-conventional warfare medicine in the Israel Defense Forces Medical Corps
• First full-time director of the Tel Aviv University Eye Research Institute
• Chairman of the Tel-Aviv University Department of Ophthalmology
• President of the Israel Society of Eye and Vision Research
• Sidney A. Fox Professor of Ophthalmology in Tel Aviv University
Dr. Belkin is an author of over 250 scientific publications and over 20 patents and is an internationally recognized eye researcher who received various research awards.
His laboratory is dedicated to originating and enabling translational research - the transfer of technologies from university-level research to clinical practice by providing expertise and facilities for laboratory, preclinical and clinical studies. He is involved in several such projects at various stages of development in lasers, optics, ophthalmic devices, pharmaceutics and biotechnology and in recent year he participated in establishing a few startup companies.
One of his ideas, the ExPress miniature glaucoma shunt, is currently used worldwide. He is a senior consultant to the Singapore Eye Research Institute and a consultant various academic organizations and companies on medical research and development.